Sunday, February 17, 2008

What would a drop of dew do...

I grew up as fire

Right from my roots

Blackened inside by hidden little embers

I’d stoked along my way

So if the valley got dark 

I could light it up

And when I summoned fire

It burst from me in a shower of sparks

And even the wind held its breath

And even I was impressed at times

But some times I lit the crowns of others

And that’s a consequence of fire

So not my fault, I said

If you can’t stand the heat…

Then one day my embers became too hot and too many

And I burnt myself down to a heap of ashes, 

Blackened and cold

Scattered and scorched, angry lips curled like burnt leaves 

But the spark of my birth

Cannot be sustained on cold ashes

So I faded out 

And blew around for a long time

Dry and empty, afraid and alone

Indescribable darkness

Then on one more day with no hope

A new spark arrived, nearly imperceptible 

But definitely there

And somehow suspended in a drop 

Of cool water

And a Voice said, “There I’ve returned it,

“Don't burn yourself again.”

And so I'm really trying

To keep the smallest spark in me bright

And make the rest water

Just one drop of it

Because a drop of water is relaxed or else

It cannot be a drop

It clings up high 

Or plummets down

A drop resists none of it  

It glides from tap to drain

And sparkles back at tap again

And so must I 


BK 

No comments: