Thursday, June 19, 2008

Shame, shame.

Faith, gratitude, humility. Faith, gratitude, humility.

These three.

I'm convinced these are the basic cornerstones of contentment. Every time I feel tweaked I can trace it back to the juggler in my head dropping one of these balls.

Today I felt ashamed for exposing a bit of emotional underbelly. Nothing too dramatic, and nothing unwarranted. But I was rattled in general by the situation, and when I felt the pins knocked out of me I wobbled toward a familiar sense of shame. One that accompanied me regularly in past, and the sensation touched off a reunion of ill feelings that roamed together too recently in the same old gang.

So I did my little trace-the-problem-back-to-the-basics thing and picked up where my juggler dropped the Humility ball.

My shame today was prideful. My shame about feeling genuine emotion must be dangling from a creeping wish for a personality other than what God gave me.

But if I were truly humble, I would accept myself - if only on the basis that I don't know how the world needs me presented in it. I don't want to try to be part of the grand scheme, in a manner other than how God fashioned me.

This is the first time I have looked at humility in a bountiful light, rather than limiting. Recognizing myself as possessing the range of my fundamental traits -- comfortable to live with or otherwise -- for good reason. What I think to be shortcomings may actually be crucial assets toward my unique contribution to the world.

In past it seems I have always experienced humility in a grim glare of self-effacement. Gone at it rooting out weeds of grandiosity and artifice, but also strangling self esteem as collateral damage. Humility, I am beginning to realize, is as much about accepting your essential self as it is about rejecting pretense to be seen otherwise.

I am what I am because God wanted it that way and I don't know why, but my understanding is not necessary. My place is to suit up and show up. And to bring that embarrassed sensitivity with me. I might need it today. Or someone I meet may need it. And I will have it there with me to help them.

Resistance to self-acceptance runs through my kind. It shows up especially after we get banged up a bit. Unsettled and uncertain. Sloshing back and forth between outward resentment and inward self-loathing.

I sometimes wonder if that runs to our cores, or if it's just below the surface. Like layers you might be able to work through, and sand them away forever.



BK

No comments: